Thursday, May 10, 2007

R & R

Thoroughly enjoyed the night out and ready to get back on track with training tonight. After long discussion with Leigh about my training choices I am going to keep on with the westside technique until the Nationals.

Let me put this on record.... Last year, when I decided to train for powerlifting I had no idea how to go about it, but I knew it had to be different from the bodybuilding training I'd been doing for so long. I picked up on the westside technique, did some research on the net and found there was someone at Definition that could give me some guidance (Dirk), I knew that it wasn't conventional powerlifting training but at that point I had no-one to guide me in anything else. From then I made a commitment to do Westside for a minimum of 12 months - I figured it would take that long to see results. Of course anything I did back at the beginning was going to work, I hadn't trained for 2 years but muscle memory etc it was all coming back fast. Anyway, my point is, I need to finish what I started. I looked back into the archives of my blog and it was around the beginning of September last year when I started Westside. So the Nationals will take me to that point that I need to get to before I can embrace another training method. I can then start with an off-season training regime under Leigh, rather than trying to change techniques in the leadup to a comp. I tried to combine the two going into the State titles and I felt that I wasn't doing justice to either. So there you have it, my reason for staying with westside is in no way a reflection on Leigh's training methods and once the Nationals are over I will dedicate myself to traditional training to take me into the 2008 Nationals. (If Leigh still thinks I'm worth his while....)

All that aside.... Tonight's training

Speed Squat.
Low box squats with bands (again) @45% of 1rm from Monday night. 12 x 2 reps
Supps:
Goodmorning squats - yay! these hurt... I mean *really* hurt! Love them 3 x 6-8 reps
Reverse Hypers 3x8-10 reps
Back extn crunch 3x15 reps (struggling to remember what these are...)
Acc.
Decline Russian twist 3x10 (another wonderful abdominal/core exercise)


I need to get my head in the right place now, and I know I've put these lyrics into the blog before, but they really reflect where I am now after (ummm... undisclosed....) and this inner strength is what I need to apply now to my lifting.....


I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong
I am invincible
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

-Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton


No comments: